Sunday, April 1, 2018

Plantar Fasciitis Nailed

I think I finally got to understand the root cause behind my plantar fasciitis. A few weeks ago I realised that the root cause was the tight inner thigh muscle of my left leg. The foot was coming under unnatural stress to compensate for that. 

While I was doing a lot of stretches for the various thigh muscles, the pain was not really going. It would come back almost every day. Just a little. But you know it's there. Then last week my daughter's school entered the holiday mode and I started commuting to work by my motorcycle instead of the SUV. In two days I realised the early morning pain under the foot was gone. I soon realised there was a link between the pain and driving my Duster. The inner thigh gets strained due to the hard clutch pedal and with a few days' driving rest it was now coming back to  normal. A few things now made sense. I used to feel the maximum pain after the morning's drive when I would drop my daughter to school and wife to her office. It was about a 40/45 minutes' drive every working morning.

Although I long suspected this, it was one of those Archimedes moments. Ever since, I have not driven the car for more than a week now. There is still a little bit of pain on the Achilles. I am hoping it will go soon. I propose to run tonight. Just a kilometre or two perhaps and with proper pre-run stretch and post run nutrition. Let me see what happens.

April 9, 2018

I did run for a kilometer that night. But the pain worsened and I have since stopped running altogether once again. For cardio exercise I would rather go for cycling more often and of course swimming. I have also noticed that at night if I sleep with my feet elevated on two pillows, the pain remains almost muted. However, if I don't - the pain is considerably high the next day. For example, last night (which was a Sunday) I had to apply ice to bring down the pain. But this morning I woke up almost pain free. This is about not using and using a couple of pillows under my feet respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment