Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Plantar Raises Its Ugly Head Again

Yesterday I came down with a bad injury once again. The plantar fasciitis raised its ugly head. I was running along fine towards the end of my evening 5K. It was only another 50 meters or so from what would be my fastest 5K. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain on the inside of the heel of my left foot (anterior part). I should have stopped immediately but I did not. I finished the run - about 30/40 meters and then almost limped back home. It was unusually humid last night.

I know too well now that although the pain is on the heel the real culprit is the weak plantar. Applied ice two times last night and Volini this morning (this was a first for me and it produced no result). This morning being Sunday called Madhav and took a deep tissue massage which helped a bit. Tied the crepe to lock the foot (so that it does not drop) while sleeping in the afternoon. It helped somewhat. Tomorrow I am going to get for myself a splint. I think it will help cure the damn thing once and for all. 

There is no swelling or anything. So there is no tear. Just a pain. Nothing major. I am sure it will take me out of action for at least a week. Let's see. 

Actually my original plantar injury never went away and I picked up running after Amsterdam only because I had bought a new pair of running shorts. After the first 5K I was feeling a bit of pain in the early mornings. I should have taken it more seriously and not run 5K just yet perhaps. But one has to take chances.

Monday, November 20, 2017

Last night I had creped the foot so that it did not move forward or "drop" (which aggravates the pain). The morning was much better. I am definitely going to get the splint tonight.  I hope they have it and within a reasonable range. Keeping the foot immobile at night is critical. In fact one of the reasons why the plantar fasciitis does not want to cure quickly is that the injury happens repeatedly due to the normal tendencies of the foot to drop forward when you are sitting on a chair at work.

Spoke to Sarada Pharmacy just now (it's about 1 pm). They call it a foot drop splint. They have it and it costs Rs 770. Let me see if it's of any use.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Finally got a grip on the problem. From a youtube video I started doing Vajrasana and got immediate relief. This is so much contradictory to conventional medical advice that at first I was not only skeptical but was apprehensive too that I might aggravate the situation. But the comments under the video gave me some confidence and I tried it out. It worked almost right away.

Last night I kept the crepe bandage on and this morning there was no pain when I got up from bed. However, the pain came back gradually albeit not with the same intensity. If this rate of remission happens then I should be pain free by this weekend.

Yesterday I had gone to check out the foot drop splint at Sarada. It's a very basic and cheapo kind of a solution which I did not buy. The plastic hard shell does not come with any soft cover. It would be very uncomfortable to wear even when I am awake. There is no question of sleeping with such a useless thing on. It would prick me all the time. So dropped the idea of buying it and used the crepe instead to stop foot drop.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

The pain continues. I have been massaging off and on. Crepe-ing the foot at night. Doing vajrasana. All these help to reduce pain but does not cure it. It is definitely much less now. But I am not fit enough to run or jump. I have to give it more time to heal. Perhaps another week. The problem with old age is recovery takes a long time. Whatever be the injury, it takes a long time to recover. I guess because cell regeneration does not happen as fast as it used to when I was younger.

Plantar recovery is particularly difficult because the foot injures itself repeatedly. I have to take the "no more than 10 per cent increment in one week when you are running for more than half an hour" advice more seriously. I jumped straight from 4 km to 5 km. Thee to four is an even sharper rise but that's happening well within the 30 minute mark. Above 30 minutes the rules of the game change. I should have been more cautious.

I was the typical old man in a hurry. And I have to pay for it.

But I have noticed that every time I have been out of action due to some over use injury, I have come back much stronger and have achieved greater things. Injuries are nothing but weaknesses leaving the body. The first time around, I got injured after 5 minutes. This has kept on increasing. Now I got injured after 5 kilometers. I am sure the next injury will happen when I cross 10K. I will. I promise to myself.

Saturday, December 2, 2017

It's been two weeks now since the injury struck me. Today I realised my gait has become normal. I am at least not limping any more. There is some pain still. I hope this will go down soon. Perhaps another week. I will give it adequate time.

I noticed that stretching the hamstring helps quite a bit. The muscles in the leg are all connected to one another like in a chain. One has to stretch them all, one by one for good effect.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Started taking medicines from yesterday. Flexon. Two tablets every day. After meal. One antacid in the morning in empty stomach. Prescribed by Partha. Felt much better this morning. The pain was completely gone in the morning. Now it is 11.30 am. The pain is coming back a little. But nothing major.

Actually I had gone for a long walk on Monday evening. Four kilometers to be precise. The pain increased a little after that. I felt there was some swelling too near the heel. That's why decided to go for anti-inflammatory medicines. Partha said take it for 2/3 days. I guess 2 days should be enough. Let's see.

Monday, December 11, 2017

Got the Azani plantar compression socks yesterday. A pair for Rs 880. Little on the higher side, I would think. It had arrived on Saturday but I couldn't go out due to an untimely rain. Yesterday went to the office and collected it. It is pretty thin but gives a good compression. Let me see if this helps. When I sit for an hour or so it pains. When I walk it is gone. Yesterday walked upto CRC in my Meindl. Today it is a little painful. Yesterday it was not.

The Azani brand has different compression items. A little expensive but the quality seems good. I think I will get for myself a brief from them. Let me get fit first.

No comments:

Post a Comment